Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Started my Dollhouse!

I've always loved dollhouses and many moons ago, when I still lived near Montreal, I went to a miniature show.  All I can say is WOW!  If you look at a picture of a room inside one of these 1:12 dollhouses, odds are you won't have a clue you are not looking at a regular size parlour. Here for example is a picture I took at the Miniatures Museum in St. Louis recently... or did I?

Starting a dollhouse is quite the commitment.  First, like you would with a regular home, you have to have a plan. You will have to choose the architecture of the house, will it be brick, do you want to add the siding yourself or will you buy a kit with pre-milled siding? What type of roof do you want; asphalt or wood shingles? The look and style of your house will also depend on your window and door choices as well as the color scheme you select. Yup, sounds pretty much like building a regular house except, you can do what you want with it, no construction permits needed!

One of the things that I had to ask myself was, what will I put my house on during the building process that I can move in and out of my studio and that will also hold my tools etc for the dollhouse, and doesn't cost a fortune!  After doing quite a bit of research I found this rolling tool chest for $84 at Lowes:With a cover to soften it up and make it blend in with the rest of the room, it will be perfect!

And so I put the basics of my house together yesterday! Now i need to paint those, add the trim, add the proch and then, I'll be able to start on the electric grid on the inside! Many months of work ahead on this project

1 comments:

CathyR said...

Have fun. I put a dollhouse together once, but then we moved and I didn't have room for it, so it never got finished. Can't wait to see the finished product.

If you are ever in Chicago, you should stop by the art museum and see the miniature rooms there. They are quite detailed and are done in many different styles. Very fun to look at.